In 1937 a group of teachers with a vision came together to form a financial cooperative that could better serve the financial needs of Tucson’s school employees and their families. A year later, Tucson Teachers Federal Credit Union (TTFCU) was serving 38 members and had acquired assets of nearly $349. School employees volunteered their time to run the credit union until 1941, when the Board Treasurer was put on salary and the credit union moved into the basement of Tucson High School. Twenty years later, TTFCU had grown to 2,220 members, $1.8 million in assets, and six full-time employees.
First TFCU branch built in 1961
The first branch was built at Winstel and Speedway in 1961 and was managed by Abba Lee Bryant, who oversaw the building of two more branches in the mid-seventies. By the early eighties, TTFCU had grown to 22,250 members and $33.7 million in assets. It was during this time that credit unions became eligible to expand their fields of membership to new groups of members. TTFCU became TFCU (Tucson Federal Credit Union) and began serving not only Tucson Unified School District (TUSD) employees, students and their families along with the University of Arizona staff and students.
“Community Chartered” credit union
On April 21, 2006, the National Credit Union Administration approved TFCU as a “Community Chartered” credit union. Our change to a “Community Charter” allows us to serve anyone who lives, works, worships, volunteers, or attends school in Pima County and their immediate families and household members.
Today, TFCU has grown to more than 49,000 members and $353 million in assets.* Our growth and success comes from the support of our members who use our services, a dedicated group of volunteers who are elected by our members to represent them, and a great staff who are committed to exceeding your expectations.