TFCU CELEBRATES 75th ANNIVERSARY

On April 19, 2012, Tucson Federal Credit Union will celebrate its 75th anniversary. Members are encouraged to stop by TFCU on April 19 when each branch will be offering refreshments and a chance to win a $75 Visa gift card.

TFCU’s history began humbly when a small group of TUSD teachers came together in 1937 with a vision of better serving the needs of Tucson’s school employees and their families. A year later, their financial cooperative known as Tucson Teachers Federal Credit Union (TTFCU) was serving 38 members with assets of $349. In 1941, the group moved into a small office in the basement of Tucson High School where the budding institution continued to gain momentum.

Over the years, TFCU has marked a number of memorable milestones. In 1976, they were the first to introduce automated teller systems, or ATMs, to the state of Arizona. By the early eighties, with over 22,000 members and over $30 million in assets, TTFCU expanded its field of membership to serve University of Arizona students and staff, and changed its name to become the TFCU (Tucson Federal Credit Union) we know today.

On April 21, 2006, the National Credit Union Administration approved TFCU as a “Community Chartered” credit union, allowing TFCU to serve anyone who lives, works, worships, volunteers, or attends school in Pima County and their immediate families and household members.

Today, TFCU has grown to more than 42,000 members and over $300 million in assets. TFCU’s eight branch locations, including the groundbreaking student-run Eagle Branch inside Santa Rita High School, provide convenient and competent service to the local community. Their award-winning Financial Education programs have been taught to nearly 50,000 area students, and they continuously dedicate tens of thousands of dollars and numerous employee hours to the community each year. TFCU contributes its 75 years of success to their wonderful membership, supportive staff, and the dedicated group of volunteers elected to lead them.


Tucson Federal Credit Union was founded in 1937 as Tucson Teachers Federal Credit Union. TFCU is a not-for-profit financial cooperative governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. Membership is open to anyone who lives, works, workships, volunteers, or attends school in Pima County. Today, TFCU has grown to more than 42,000 members and seven locations in Tucson, Marana, and Sahuarita. Their growth and success comes from those members who use their services, a dedicated group of volunteers who are elected by their members to represent them, and a great staff who are committed to creating an exceptional experience.